My favorite breakfast before I went vegan was scrambled eggs with avocado and salsa. My college library had a cafe that made this in burrito form, and they were my go-to study food. I’d grab one for lunch and have lots of energy to sit down and write a big paper. I started to make these burritos at home all the time, and have definitely missed this breakfast since going vegan. Tofu scrambles are a typical vegan substitute, but what about those of us who avoid soy products? The answer: chickpea flour!
When I heard about the concept of chickpeas as a substitute for scrambled eggs, I was ecstatic. They’re soy free and packed with protein to keep me full and energized all morning. I really wanted to recreate my favorite breakfast burrito, so I began experimenting with different kinds of chickpea scrambles, hoping to get something resembling scrambled eggs.
Surprisingly my end result was a savory chickpea flour pancake–definitely not what I originally expected to make! It’s so good though, and I don’t even miss the burrito. I absolutely love this breakfast recipe, and the pancakes take only a few minutes to whip up in the morning. I can make a batch of the chipotle lime cashew cream to use throughout the week, and it adds a great flavor to this whole dish. If you’re not a huge fan of spicy peppers, try the pancakes with my Avocado Lime sauce!
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, paprika, and sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water for one hour
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Whisk all the ingredients for the pancakes together in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients for the chipotle lime cashew cream into a blender. Process until smooth, then pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat up a griddle and coat with olive oil. Pour 2-3 tbsp of batter onto the griddle to form a pancake. Let it cook for 2 minutes or until the edges brown and then flip over and cook for another minute.
- Serve with avocado, salsa, and chipotle lime cashew cream.
Yields about 6 pancakes.